The Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust is seeking a mandate to represent Mōkai Pātea in Treaty settlement negotiations with the Crown and invites the Mōkai Pātea claimant community to attend mandate voting hui throughout the country.
Published: Rāapa, 29 Haratua, 2019 | Wednesday, 29 May 2019
The Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust is seeking a mandate to represent Mōkai Pātea in Treaty settlement negotiations with the Crown and invites the Mōkai Pātea claimant community to attend mandate voting hui at any of the following venues:
- Saturday 15 June, 10am-12pm, Old Taihape Hospital Cafeteria, Hospital Road, Taihape
- Saturday 15 June 5pm-7pm, Kingsgate Hotel, 397 Victoria Avenue, Whanganui
- Sunday 16 June, 1pm-3pm, The Porirua Club, Sports Room, 1 Lodge Place, Porirua
- Friday 21 June, 5:30pm-7:30pm, Tokaanu Hotel Conference Room, 525 State Highway 4, Turangi
- Saturday 22 June, 11am-1pm, Taradale Town Hall, Lee Road, Taradale
- Sunday 23 June, 11am-1pm, Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, 2 Ascot Road, Airport Oaks, Auckland
The hui will provide information to the Mōkai Pātea claimant community about the Crown’s Treaty settlement policy and the Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust’s mandate process. The hui will provide the opportunity to vote on the Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust representing Mōkai Pātea in Treaty settlement negotiations with the Crown.
All members of the Mōkai Pātea claimant community over 18 years of age are eligible to vote at a mandate voting hui, by postal vote or online voting, on the following resolution:
That the Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust is mandated to represent the Mōkai Pātea Nui Tonu claimant community in negotiations with the Crown for the comprehensive settlement of all of the historical claims of Mōkai Pātea Nui Tonu.
The mandate voting period opens on 10 June 2019 and closes at 5pm on 8 July 2019. The vote will be administered by Independent Election Services Limited, www.electionservices.co.nz. Those who are registered with the Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust will receive a voting pack to the address you have provided to us. If you do not receive a voting pack, please contact the Returning Officer.
If you wish to vote but are not on the Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust’s register or wish to vote but do not want to be on the register, you can do so by casting a special vote noting your whakapapa. Verification for special votes will be carried out by those knowledgeable in the whakapapa of that Mōkai Pātea iwi.
The Claimant Community means all persons who affiliate by way of verified whakapapa to one or more of the four confederated Mōkai Pātea iwi of Ngāi Te Ohuake, Ngāti Hauiti, Ngāti Whitikaupeka or Ngāti Tamakōpiri and their respective hapū. This includes those who are within the claimant community and have chosen not to register as a member of the Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust.
For further information:
- about voting and obtaining a vote pack please contact: Returning Officer, Dale Ofsoske, Ph 0800 922 822 or email@example.com
- about the mandate strategy please contact: Programme Manager, Lavinia Jacobsen Ph 0800 388 488 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Copies of the Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust’s mandate strategy are available on the Te Arawhiti website www.tearawhiti.govt.nz and the Mōkai Pātea Waitangi Claims Trust website www.mokaipateaclaims.maori.nz.
- Mōkai Pātea Mandate Strategy
- Appendix A - Mokai Patea Nui Tonu Whakapapa
- Appendix B - Mokai Patea Chart of Iwi Runanga and Hapu
- Appendix C - Mōkai Pātea Nui Tonu Area of Interest
- Appendix D - Ngai Te Ohuake Area of Interest
- Appendix E - Ngati Hauiti Area of Interest
- Appendix F - Ngati Whitikaupeka Area of Interest
- Appendix G - Ngāti Tamakōpiri Area of Interest
- Appendix H - Mokai Patea Trust Deed May 2019